The Norwichtown Colonial Burying Ground
Enter via the gates at the end of Old Cemetery Lane
The Colonial Burying Ground was established January 4, 1700. Part of the land was sold by Lt. Samuel Huntington to the town to be used for public burials. The graveyard is divided into two general areas, the original colonial section with headstones from the 1700s, located straight through the gates at the end of Old Cemetery Lane. The second section is located to the left of the original section after crossing a small footbridge. It runs up hill and ends at the Hubbard Gates on East Town Street. Several thousand burials have been recorded here but only about 1300 headstones remain today. Free blacks and enslaved individuals were buried at the rear of the burying ground. Gov. Samuel Huntington, Hannah Arnold, Boston Trowtrow, and other prominent Norwich citizens are buried here.